Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Point Park on Lookout Mountain

After leaving the caves of Rock City we headed for Ruby Falls, but sadly it was a holiday weekend and I think everyone from the seven states you could see from Lover's Leap was there. So instead of waiting in line we decided to go check out Point Park and see the story of the Battle of Lookout Mountain, and the Blue and the Gray.


I really had no idea just exactly where on Lookout Mountain the Park was, but it didn't take long to figure it out.



Looking down over Chattanooga Tennessee.

You are literally on the edge of the mountain standing here.

Story of the "Battle Above the Clouds"
The New York Peace Memorial on Lookout Mountain.
A Confederate soldier awaits the battle.

Sadly this photo is supposed to be under the next one but for some reason this template just jumps photos all over the place with no rhyme or reason and no undoing or dragging will put it back where it's supposed to be.
After leaving Point Park (click on post title to read more) we drove to Chatanooga for lunch.

Point Park
There are other wonderful places to explore here but we decided to have lunch and come back another day.
Leaving the area heading for home we encoundered this Blast from the Past!
I couldn't help but get a few photos.
Dodge Super Bee
I really love all the signs for Fireworks....but somehow not to sure about mixing Cold Beer and Fireworks...seems like a bad combo to me!!!
THEN I remembered that there was someplace I wanted to stop on the way home. Can you figure out which place on this sign was my destination?
It was like Christmas in there!!
We all had a great day and hope you enjoyed our little trip.

17 comments:

Rural Rambler said...

What a great trip for my mid-morning Evis. I did enjoy it and learned a few things too. CH is talking about checking it out! I love a cast iron but I swear I don't know what I do wrong to them!

Denise said...

You didnt say if you bought any cast iron. Did ya? I would love to go there, not that I need any more cast iron but still...

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, I was thinking, "I don't know where she's going, but I can always use a good frying pan!" Good choice.

Eve said...

Hi RR...I would love it if you both checked out Rock City et al!! So I think you just have to wash in hot water (no soap), make sure it is dry and oil it every now and then....So far I LOVE IT...but it's heavy and I have whimpy wrists!! hahaha!

Hi Denise!! Well yes being like Christmas my hubby bought me a Dutch Oven and a Griddle with press. Some cleaning brushes AND cookbook. That was very sweet of him!

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

Looks like a great adventure. I really love the top photo, it is so funky. The bottom photo is very fun

Anonymous said...

A cookbook Evie, is trying to tell you something.{:)
Lots of history in this area and more great scenes.

Jenny said...

Yes indeedy, did enjoy your family tripette Evie. What on earth did those two have in their mouths??? (-:

bunnits said...

What great photos. Makes me want to go back this weekend.

Isn't the Lodge outlet store a great place?

How cool is that Super Bee?

Eve said...

Thanks Steve...I got a Lodge frying pan about a week before we when there and it is a good one!

Hi Kerry, Yes that shadow photo is very Kerryesk!

Ha Ha Roy!!! Well...my cooking should get a lot better now that I have nice cookware!! hahahaha!

Hi Jenny! Them there are Lemons!! Don't you suck on a lemon every once in a while!!! hahaha!

Bunnits! Going back to Lookout Mountain is always a good idea! Yes, I think I would like to fill my kitchen with Lodge stuff!
My school buddy had a Super Bee back in the day and it was such fun to get to take a ride once in a while!

Mary said...

Lookout Mountain is a great spot! What a view! If you go back to Chatanooga take the girls to the wonderful Aquarium they have there and there is a great train ride you can take, too. Love that last sign. Did you buy any iron?

Bluekat said...

Great photos - you really captured the feeling of elevation over the city. What a great trip for you guys! Nice one of the Confederate soldier.

Gotta love cast iron, but it sure is heavy!

My photos have done the same bouncing around thing, and some of mine will no longer enlarge. It seems worse on photos with captions. I think there is something funky going on with the html, but haven't had a chance to look at it closely.

Eve said...

Hi Mary,
Yes got a few nice pots! We were parked right next to the Aquarium when we had lunch, but I think we will tackle that one next time.

Thanks Kari! I loved sneaking a picture of the solider.
I hope either we can figure this template out or they fix it!!

Wendy said...

It really sounds like a great trip Eve, love your photos, especially the first and ninth one.
Hope you're having a good week :)

Unknown said...

Evie:

I think it would be a little scary to stand on the edge of the mountain. I really love that first photo, so artistic of you.

I have never been to your area, but it looks beautiful with lots of things to see. Also love the bird's eye view

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

Gary France said...

Great pictures as usual Eve. I especially like the first cannon picture with great use of D of F. Hmmmn, that type of car isn't really the style I would like, but I can see why others would like them. Keep up the good work!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Love all the photos, but especailly the first. How's the cooking going with the Lodge Cookware? I do believe you need to do a post on a recipe out of that new cookbook with photos to accompany and don't forget to wear your apron!

Lady R (Di) said...

I love the view from on top of the mountain! I could stand there all day and look at the river. It's fun to read someone else's rendition about someplace you were just at.

Glad ya'll had as pretty a day as we had!