Thursday, September 17, 2009

Woods Walk (Two)

After washing the ants off Daisy, I gave the dogs their treats and headed back out the door. I thought I would head down the driveway and start from where the woods meet the road and work my way up.
This picture was taken this spring facing down the driveway to the road where I would enter the woods.At the end of the driveway I have a Persimmon tree with fruit. I have no idea what to do with these! Jelly? Entering the woods are these sweet yellow wild flowers. I also have one at the back of the property. Also more Beautyberry. I have a confession to make. I have a wild Beautyberry growing under a Black Gum tree in my yard. Earlier in the summer I cut it to the ground thinking it was a weed. Then I found out what it was, and just so you know it is growing back fine, just no berries this season. There are many dead trees in the woods. Good pickins for all the woodpeckers, and other living things. Ok this was a little scary. This dead tree was hanging from a living tree, with its bottom at the base. Since we've been here I've heard a number of trees fall in the woods that surround us. It's a really "different" sound to witness. There is a fence that separates the property line going up this west side. This is our neighbors house, we haven't met yet. Darn!Oh! Things are starting to change down south too! This tree had a pretty canopy... ...but not a very friendly trunk!
*Thanks Maria www.kap-maria.blogspot.com for letting me know this is a Devil's Walking Stick and reminding me that Daniel did a post on it not too long ago. http://www.natureatcloserange.com/ And WHAT is this!!! I don't know if it's wild or a domestic runaway. Another thing to research.
*I did some research and found that this could be Eastern Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpurea).
Must be when they saw this pretty thing they said "Wahoo! Look at that pretty thing!!!"

That was the end of my journey through the woods. But the journey didn't end there. I came out of the woods back up the driveway and the adventure continued.

That will be my next post.

12 comments:

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

Very pretty

Peggy said...

That hanging tree trunk...What? Weird!
Your woods walk was very interesting!

Maria said...

The thorny plant we call Devil's Walking Cane - don't know a scientific name but maybe that can be a guide.

Eve said...

Oh Thanks Maria! My friend Daniel http://www.natureatcloserange.com/2009_08_01_archive.html recently did a post on the Devil's Walking Stick! His was a younger version. It was in my mind to check into that. Thanks for this tip!

Jenny said...

A great explore through your woods Evie, that hanging tree is amazing, I'm glad you're leaving some dead wood for the peckers. That is one vicious looking branch. Great common name for it. We have a Euonymous that has similar pink petals with orange berries, but slightly different I think. If it is the same or similar to our, the leaves should really colour up nicely shortly too! Looking forward to the next installment! (-:

Anonymous said...

Hey Evie, the beautyberry, no that was just a spot of hard pruning.{:)

Lots of photo opportunities coming up I should think in that wooded area.

For Persimmon fruits see

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/persimmon-fruit.html

Tina said...

Jeeze, that hanging tree would creep me out! I would have to get that baby down..
You have quite a nice variety of interesting plants, flowers, and berries growing in your kingdom..neat to walk with you!!

Eve said...

Thanks Jenny!

Thanks for the site Roy, very interesting facts. Now I'll have to get down there and pick a few (or should I say cut a few) to give them a try!

DeniseinVA said...

This was a lovely walk through the woods Eve. I've enjoyed catching up today. You have taken more great photos.

Rural Rambler said...

Well Sunny Side Up Eve I finally am taking your walk in the woods one and two. Poor Daisy. All the delicate little wildflowers are sweet and very pretty. Persimmons!! CH loves persimmons! Right off the tree. Persimmon pudding is the thing around here. Have not had it for years, "The Mama" has the recipe.

We hear large limbs crack, break and fall to the ground in our wooded area. It always makes me sad. CH says it nature's way of pruning.

Eve said...

Hi RR!! Tell "the mama" I'd love to have her recipe! Don't forget to stop for the final walk in todays post...it's the climax!!

Unknown said...

Cool! I would say "Wahoo!" to the Eastern Wahoo. Very nice! Great photo of the thorns on the "Devil's Walkingstick". Thanks for mentioning my blogpost on it. I have since found a large dead tree- it was at least 12' tall- so I now have a Devil's Walking Stick for a walking stick. It is too weak to actually use as a walking stick- so I have it propped up in a corner of the house (much to my wife's chagrin) as a conversation piece. :)