Friday, July 18, 2008

A nice day for a walk...

We got out for a little walk yesterday. It was hot! Well, living in the northeast when I say "hot" that translates to pretty darn nice to many of you in the south and mid-west. That said...
one of the first critters seen was a Northern Crescent. I'm just starting to see them out at this time.
A nice Monarch was sipping from a common milkweed...and hopefully laying eggs. A milkweed beetle. A potato beetle...hopefully soon to be known as Guinea food!
We passed a few Black-eyed Susans along the way...Then under the Shagbark Hickory getting heavy with nuts... Ole found this little guy, who was probably looking for nuts... Then to the pond...which is completely dry but still full of life and little frogs...many plants, which I don't know... A White-faced Meadowhawk.
I'm going to say this is a type of Spreadwing but I'm not having luck finding it in my book. A sweet little fellow though!

10 comments:

Mary said...

What perfect butterflies and perfect photos! I keep finding the most ragged beat-up looking butterflies you can imagine with half wings gone. That first shot is wonderful! And the bugs....so detailed and close. Love that little chipmunk! It makes me really sad that there are no chipmunks around here. They are just so cute! Nice dragon and damsel! I think I just saw a similar blue one, but I can't figure out the damsels at all.

Eve said...

Thanks Mary!
I don't usually see chipmunks but leave it to Ole to find one! Damselflies are very difficult for me too. I do get the Eastern Forktail and Fragil Forktail which I've gotten to know but there always seems to be something new to see!

Jenny said...

Hi Eve

LOVE the Northern Crescent, beautiful! Dearly wish we had those cute Chipmonks over here instead of the pesky Grey Squirrels. I know you'll say the same about House Sparrows (Sprogs) and Starlings! (-: Lovely photos!
Jen

Eve said...

Ha Ha Be careful what you wish for Jen!! These little guys will rob you of all your bulbs if you let them!! Luckily they, and the squirrels avoid our place most of the time!
Thanks Jen!

John Theberge said...

You know I love this series of photos. Keep checking back at the milkweed, if you start seeing the green and black and yellow striped caterpillars you know the monarchs laid eggs. Your unidentified white flower is the water plantain.

Eve said...

Thanks John!! I knew you'd know that plant! I'll be looking for the caterpillars, when the kids were younger we would bring one in...feed it until it turned into a butterfly...take it out and say goodbye!!! What fun that was!!

Adrian said...

Hi Eve

Lovely shots as usual. The Northern Crescent is a handsome critter. You would probably appreciate our Fritilaries. If you fancy a look at the 58 (I think) species we have here then check out www.britishbutterflies.co.uk. I have not been out shooting again yet - Jenny tells me off for not getting out more! I have an idea about doing something on thistles though for nex time. Watch this space.

All the best.

Adrian

Anonymous said...

At long last you have been out for a walk Eve.
Lovely butterflies and little Chipmunk.
Looking forward to the results of your next walk.

Eve said...

Hi Adrian! The Crescent is a little guy...I was lucky to get that shot as they are skiddish! I have a coupld Frits here...more throughout the states...I will have fun looking at yours! Thanks! Well, get out there!!! I'll visit soon!

Hi Roy!
I had such a nice walk...maybe I'll get out there again today! There were a few butterflies I didn't see yesterday that I KNOW are out there...just have to be at the right place at the right time!

The Birdlady said...

That was a nice close-up day you had...Thanks for the beauty.