Friday, May 9, 2008

Birds and a Butterfly for the Fenlandwalker....

I've never been to England and it's a possibility that I will never be able to go there, but there is a way for me to enjoy the beauty that England has to offer by visiting a wonderful blog created by Roy Norris the Fenlandwalker http://fenlandwalker.blogspot.com/. His adventures are well documented with beautiful photographs and a terrific spirit! Thanks Roy for allowing me to enjoy the beauty of birds and nature in England!
Here are a few of my backyard birds for you. Let me know if you have these guys in England.
The White-crowned Sparrow is just passing through on his migration north.
Our American Goldfinch is as sweet as yours but not quite the same!!! I didn't notice his leg band until I viewed the picture!
And this was a very special guest I had in my garden last year. The Giant Swallowtail that I was able to capture on my camera was the first to be recorded in my county by Montana State Universitie's Moths and Butterflies of North America http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/ It was an exciting find!
Thanks Roy!



8 comments:

Mike said...

Love your Giant Swallowtail image. Thanks for the link to the UK. I'm going to add it to my favoriates. Their version of a Goldfinch is really interesting.

Eve said...

Thanks Mike!
I knew you would like this butterfly. It's quite noticable compared to the Eastern and Canadian Tiger Swallowtails.

Stacey Olson said...

Great images Eve, and great tribute also..Hope you do make it to England some day.. that would be a wonderful trip..

Anonymous said...

Eve,

Thank you so much for your amazing tribute. It is particularly pleasing because it came from someone who is a photographer and from someone who
displays a broad knowledge of nature matters both through your blog and comments to others.
I do hope you can make it to England one day. I shall continue to do my best to show you as much of it from a countryside point of view in my blog.
Kind regards
Roy

Anonymous said...

Eve,

Reference the White Crowned Sparrow check out this link as we did get one here this year which was only the 4th record in UK

http://www.bubo.org/listing/Records/UK-White-crowned-Sparrow.html

The Swallowtail is a quite rare and only recorded in West Norfolk. I have never see one here, but have seen loads of them in Tuscany.

The American Goldfinch has also been recorded here a few times, it does look a bit like our Yellowhammer though.

Kathryn and Ari said...

I know it should be obvious, but I'm always amazed at how different birds are in the US and Great Britain, especially since so many of the latter have been "imported" to the former. Still, the species show real differences. I wish I knew more about evolution--I'm sure it would all make sense to me if I understood genetics.

John Theberge said...

I planted a bunch of cone flowers this weekend so hopefully when they bloom they'll attract the butterflies like your s do.

Eve said...

Oh they will John!!!