Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Visiting Mary

Just before our trip to northern NY this month...actually that morning, I got a call from my new friend Patricia, asking me if I would like to meet another gardener friend that lives between the two of us. In reality, Nadine, who's family built the house we live in, also told me about Mary's gardens...so getting there was really meant to be. Of course I jumped on the opportunity.
When Morgan and I arrived Patricia was there but Mary was not! She did arrive just before we left and she was a delightful southern woman full of sunshine and spirit.
She loves her Hostas, what a stunning collection.Beautiful color was a plenty!A little Banana Tree!I forget the name of this tree but look at those seed pods! What a treat!Mary had many many Lilies. As a matter of fact, I have some of Mary's Lilies here in my gardens thanks to Nadine and Mary!Of course the American Ladies just love Mary's garden.And her sweet companion was ever by our side.Pears galore!The Oak Leaf Hydrangea that is wild here in the south.Mary's husband told us the story of the rock that was placed in the garden years ago. One day a friend mentioned the Indian face in the boulder. Do you see it Morgan?Go nose to nose with the garden guardian!Calla Lilies too.And who doesn't love Money growing in the garden!Wild Ginger anyone?A lovely variegated Solomon's Seal.Mary and her husband also had a few cattle. Mom, dad and a youngster were enjoying the morning sun. (sorry the youngin is not pictured here) Here mom is enjoying a fresh apple from Morgan.Dad got one too, but at a distance. I think mom was hoping that apple was for her!Thank you Mary for letting us tour your beautiful garden. And thank you Nadine and Patricia for telling me about Mary!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a beautiful garden Evie.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I've heard the tree with glorious seedpods called a Golden Rain Tree, but do not know its official name. How fun is this? Love the rock and cattle, plants and ... here's to new friends!!!!!

Jenny said...

Hi Evie, it's interesting how common names mean different things in different countries. Here Golden Rain Tree is the Laburnum (one in my back garden by the kitchen window. It has beautiful racemes of yellow pea like flowers. On what you call a money plant, we call honesty, tho I'm not sure why it's called that! Your new friend has some loverly garden plants! Glad you and Morgan had a great time! (-:

Dog Trot Farm said...

What a beautiful place to photograph and so many wonderful subjects. Morgan your are the perfect model and yes I do indeed see the Native American face in the boulder. Very interesting.

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

The flower photos are so gorgeous!

Bluekat said...

First off, I don't know how new it is, but I love the new header pic - Stunning!

What a beautiful garden with all kinds of lovely flowers and plants. The garden guardian is awesome!

Rural Rambler said...

Love the cows Eve! Probably wise to throw the apple to Mr. Bull :) I love the plant that looks like coins. Mary has some beautiful gardens. Don't ya love it when one friend leads to another friend and a garden walk in the deal :)

Mary said...

Wow..what a bounty of great things! Golden Raintrees are pretty common around here. (My quilt guild is actually called the Raintree Quilters Guild!) They have gorgeous yellow flowers in the spring and those lovely pods later.