Sunday, July 25, 2010

Kayaking with a Crocodile in Lake Guntersville State Park

My friend Rhonda, and her husband Coy, invited me to go kayaking Saturday and of course I said YES!
Plotting on the map it was about 2.8 miles one way. Now for someone who had only ever kayaked once before I must say it was quite a trip.We got there about 8 am and already the temps were in the 80's. It was a bright sunny day and heating up fast.That is where we are headed.I bravely packed the G9 in a zip lock baggie and promised not to tip the boat.Looking back at the bridge before continuing on.Thanks Rhonda for inviting me!I'll just follow you for a bit!What a gorgeous place to be...but it was HOT.The end of the line for the kayaks was where these large boulders sat in the shallows.We parked in the shade and contemplated all the birds we'd seen. A Bald Eagle, Belted Kingfishers, and Great Blue Herons, on
the way out.Heading back I put on the brakes!!!What is THAT up there??!!It looks like a Crocodile!!! OH NO!!!Why am I getting so close!!!Ok maybe I didn't fool you! But I think that dragonfly on the croc's eyeball is fooled!
I've never seen this Dragonfly before but I'll take a guess and say its an Eastern Ringtail.One of the Herons on the way back was as watchful as the rest. Other birds we saw were, an Osprey, a Green Heron, and back at the launch some Brown-headed Nuthatches among other more common birds.Thanks for sending pictures of me in such rare form Rhonda!It was a really fun morning!

11 comments:

Bluekat said...

What a beautiful spot to kayak. Beautiful water! Don't you love all the wildlife you see, and you can get so close!

We haven't been out for a couple summers now, but just got invited on a camping/kayaking trip with the brother in law. Now your post has me in the kayaking mode! I'm jealous though...I want your onno paddle.

Dog Trot Farm said...

What a great trip you girls had! Was it not possible to jump in the lake to cool down? oh right poisonous snakes, crocodiles, water moccasins, not a good idea, well you girls sure looked cute!!!!

Anonymous said...

A great adventure Evie and that is a fabulous new header.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

That looks like so much fun, Eve! The "crocodile" is amazing - you had me there for a second. All the birds and the beauty and a good friend...on the water in a kayak? Sounds like a perfect day!

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

Great fun, That does really look like a crocodile

Shelley said...

Okay Eve - you almost had me there! It definitely looks like a croc! Great photos - I love to kayak!!

farmlady said...

What a great time you had. What a beautiful place.
You could have fooled me with that "crocodile" I would have started back pedaling fast...., or whatever you call reverse on a kayak.

Rural Rambler said...

Looks like fun Evis! SomeBODY kinda looks like a dragonfly in the 8th picture. The water looks great and yep it really looks like a croc! Don't ya just love the sound of the water hitting the kayak and moving over the paddles?!

Lady R (Di) said...

Looks like you put in at the same spot Harley and I took a stretch break while we were there. You'll recognize it when I post the story about Lake. Believe me, it was hot for us too, but we didn't get in the water, although we should have!!

Never kayaked before, but I've been canoeing. I felt unsteady in the canoe, I can just imagine the kayak. I new a kid in high school who almost drowned when his turned over and he had a hard time righting himself. All turned out okay, but it still left an impression on me.

I think I'll stick to less dangerous activities... like riding motorcycles! LOL!

Anonymous said...

How funny!

Mary said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Love the crock and the dragonfly :-) You look like an expert kayaker now.