Friday, July 30, 2010

Lake Guntersville Dam...The other side

Yesterday I jumped on the Iron to run an errand, and since Morgan is at Band Camp during the day this week and next, I was in no real rush to get home. Traveling along I found myself on the south side of the Guntersville DamI watched this little boat come along and was wondering if they wanted to get to the other side.I'm not sure if they go through these openings...seems a bit scary to me...but because I have some form of ADD I didn't stick around long enough to find out...
So sorry!That is the side we are usually on.The tower is where I've photographed a Red-headed woodpecker, Eastern Bluebirds and Black Vultures.But today was all about the Iron!Walking back by the bike I spyed this swamp. Then I heard a bit of noise and quickly photographed these three Great Blue Herons speeding away.I was a beautiful ride down to this side of the Dam. The north side has a long straight flat road, but this side is a long, steep, curvy mountain road down into the valley.I decided not to take the walk down. Too hot today.A little artwork here. Nothing great but you can just see the Iron there on the left.Well for riding in the Sunny South my new motto is...

It's not too hot to ride...it's too hot to stop riding!!!

12 comments:

mq01 said...

FABULOUS!!! and its soooooooooo green there too :) damn now youve got me wondering about the people on those boats aiming for those tiny little corridors... lol...

Rural Rambler said...

OOoooo Evis it was an Iron kinda Friday. I am so glad you got out and let the short shots potato potato! Evis when CH was assigned to DC we boated the Potomac and we cruised through a very similar structure and it was one erie kinda float but it was cool too. We had to watch the tide though. Those were the days :) I'm liking the other side of Lake Guntersville Dam, pictures by Eve!

Anonymous said...

That was a nice "ride out" Evie and great transportation.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I love those rambling road trip kinda days! Very cool to see the other side of the dam AND all those herons AND The Iron! Wonder where that boat went, eh? It's too hot here to do much of anything. Welcome to Summer in the South!

Mary said...

Glad you stopped long enough to take some photos! Looks like a neat place to explore as well as a neat place to ride :-)

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

I love that you have so many little and big adventures

Eve said...

Thanks guys! Next time I'll try to see what goes on in those scary openings! Maybe I need a BOAT!!!

Lady R (Di) said...

I thought Lake Guntersville was awesome! We rode up and down both sides of the lake while we were there and had a blast doing it. I'm very proud that our state can boast the fact that we have some beautiful lakes and rivers.

Great pics Eve!

John Theberge said...

I've been riding my bike a lot too this year. I got it at the end of last summer. That frog photo is the first photo I've taken in about 6 months.

bunnits said...

Got so caught up in emailing that I forgot to actually post a comment. Love the photos. It's one of my favorite places to hang out. I love watching the herons.

Bluekat said...

Great ride report and pics!
Eek! I can't believe they got that close to the dam. I have nightmares about getting sucked into a dam. That one totally creeps me out! :)

Seeing the Iron out for a ride does much to cheer me back up and take my mind off the dam incident.

I love your motto - very good!

Gary France said...

Wow Eve, Desoto SP is stunning and great photos too!

I think Tammy has invented a new word and I really like Bigify. My favourite picture is the UG!!! one, looking up at the person balancing on the top of the falls. Seeing the cars was a real bonus! It was a shame the Sequoya Caverns was closed, especially on a Sunday, but it seems you had an excellent ride without it. I liked the way you wrote about riding in the rain – on a hot day, providing it isn’t too much rain, it can be very refreshing!