Friday, September 26, 2008

Warbler City

Each year at this time the Yellow-rumped and Palm warblers stop by my house to dine on the hoards of flies that congregate on my deck and porch. They've just arrived in time for the feast, so here’s to these bright beauties.Palm Warbler
~
See that tail,
That bright yellow rump,
Up and down it wags.
It’s silly to do
If there’s five of you,
You'll look like a
Row of flags.

In early spring
You sneak right through
Heading north you fly
And then in fall,
If we’re lucky at all
Your waging tail we’ll spy.

Sweet little warbler
With your bobbing tail
I’ll see you again this spring.
Keep yourself warm
In the south where you swarm,
Where warblers love to sing.
~
Eve Sweatman

12 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Hi Eve - I couldn't open this fast enough whenI saw your title on my blog roll...I love warblers! And this is such a lovely image adn poem!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I LOVE your poem!

Mary said...

Love the poem! I can just see them wagging their tails :-) Cute bird!

John Theberge said...

Great image, I'm gonna have to put out a feeder so I can get more birds in my yard.

DeniseinVA said...

What a great photo of a darling little bird and your poem is wonderful. Just love to read them.

Jenny said...

A great photo, love the pose! and a fabulous poem. Wish I had the nonse to be able to do that!

Anonymous said...

"Eve Sweatman - Poet."

Super image and super poem Evie.

Stacey Olson said...

Very well done Eve. Thanks for sharing

Eve said...

Thanks guys! It's fun for me!!

Mike said...

Thanks for stopping by my new blog. Was the link you left your brothers web site? I had heard that the Manx line was still alive.
I was watching the F1 race this morning when they said that Paul Newman had died. My brother and his wife met him once at Mid Ohio and they ate lunch together. My sister-in-law is still in awwww.

Shelley said...

A really fun poem to go w/ your great photo!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a cool shot. It is really nice that you have a group of warblers that know where to come for a good meal.