Monday, June 1, 2009

Gardening 101

I am a gardener wantabe.
I have the gardening bug, but may times I get lazy near the halfway mark of the season. But for now I'm all about flowers. I feel this year I'm a little late on getting started but, HEY, I just got here so I'm playing catch up.
I bought some butterfly attracting flowers like lantana and verbena from the garden centers, a couple bags of "Miracle Grow" potting soil, a few other pleasing plants and began my work. I have two large pots that I got for about $2.00 each at Home Depot super sale two seasons ago.
They just wanted to get rid of them, and my friend Joan and I just happened to be there at the right time. Instead of filling them up with dirt, I gathered up all the fillers I could find to replace the dirt that would be heavy and wasted. I found some Styrofoam from boxes not yet tossed. I used plastic bags to keep the dirt from falling through. I have used landscape fabric before but didn't have any here.All the things I normally recycle made good fillers. I left at least 6 inches for potting soil.Figured out where my plants would sit, and of course my best friend was handy in case I needed anything. That looks like it'll work. We'll see how they fill out and hope the butterflies like them too!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting- shows you how much I know about gardening- which is not very much. I like how you used the fillers. I would have just dumped entire bags of soil into the pots! I foresee great butterfly and hummingbird photo opportunities in the near future!

Tina said...

What a novel idea..I, too, would have filled with garden soil from bottom to top!! Great selection of plants and I just love those big pots!!

Shelley said...

Great idea - looks pretty Eve! I hope you get lots of butterflies!

Carolynn Anctil said...

There's something soul fulfilling about planting a flower, nurturing it and watching it grow.

I'm limited to pots on a balcony, however, I'm pleased to say they're all flourishing and spilling loveliness everywhere!

Jenny said...

A nice mix Evie, I love Lantana as you know. You'll be fighting off the butterflies before you know it!
By the way.....Pigglywiggly?????
(-:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're on your way. The good thing is that you will have a long growing season. So you got started late? My, you've only been down there for a few weeks! Nice arrangement.

Maria said...

they turned out so pretty

Dog Trot Farm said...

Friends, Miss Eve is a Grand Gardnener I have witnessed them first hand. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Eve said...

Thanks all. Yes Jenny Piggly Wiggly! It's a southern store. For two weeks everytime we went by the Piggly Wiggly I would yell out to Morgan "PIGGLY WIGGLY!!!" But now it's just an everyday grocery store! Cute huh!!

Thank you Julie, you are very kind and not just cause you're my cousin! Hope you're feeling better!

NatureStop said...

Very interesting post Eve.They look so lovely.

Mary said...

Very nice! What a great idea for reusing recycled stuff. will have to remember that.

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

I like your idea and it is good to the earth

FAB said...

Hi Eve. We regularly use styrafoam as 'crocks' for drainage but not plastic bags because the compost may become waterlogged and plants need air around the roots to thrive. Nice choice of planting though. Cheers FAB.

Eve said...

Thanks for the info Frank. Hopefully the water will dribble through the bags. It will be an experiment and we'll have to wait and see how they do. I'll pick up some landscape fabric when I get to the garden store for the next bucket...I've already got one in mind!

Rural Rambler said...

Eve, a woman with a wheelbarrow-my kind of gal! Your pots of happy face flowers are very pretty. I just wanted to tell you that your blog puts a smile on my face and your pictures are wonderful. I am slowly making my way thru. What a nice read!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and your kind and thoughtful comments. Your blog inspires me to blog better!!!